Trauma-Informed Practices: Prevention and De-escalating Disruptive Behavior
Uncertainty about school, economic wellbeing of families and communities, ongoing racial tension and unrest, and COVID-19 have increased all stakeholders’ concerns about the emotional and physical wellbeing of students and staff as they prepare for the 2020-2021 school year. In Part II of Trauma-Informed Practices Across all School Settings, the focus will shift from overall environmental practices to prevention and management of behavior arising from stress, distress, and trauma through positive and thoughtful interactions between staff and students.
During this webinar, participants will be introduced to a trauma-informed approach toward the escalation and de-escalation cycle including strategies for responding to behaviors at the various levels and ways to remain calm and be present with a student during an incident. Join us as we tackle difficult issues related to disruptive student behavior.
This webinar is part two of a two-part series on fostering a holistic positive school climate for the 2020-2021 school year while addressing concerns related to COVID-19 and racial unrest.
- Strategies to create and maintain a calm and connected classroom and school environment.
- Identify and describe methods for preventing student dysregulation and resulting behaviors in the classroom.
- Identify methods for diminishing and managing behavioral escalation of students
in the school setting.
- Practices staff can take during a crisis to manage their own emotions and increase their ability to calmly respond to student behavior.
- Identify when it is appropriate and necessary to seek additional support.
Pamela Black, External Consultant Trauma-Sensitive Schools Initiative, National Council for Mental Wellbeing
Continuing Education Credit
This webinar is offered for an NCSS certificate of completion.
Pam Black; Brad Bender, MSW; Maura Gaswirth, LICSW; Sarah Flinspach; Naomi Pomerantz, MPH, LLMSW; Tom Reischl, PhD
This webinar has already occurred. It is available on-demand by clicking the Enroll button.